Skip to toolbar
Notifications
Clear all

Creating a fake sandstorm was no easy task while filming The Rifleman  

RSS
flabirder
(@flabirder)
Trusted Member

This article was on MeTV.com yesterday. It's about the making of the episode Ordeal. I thought it was very interesting. I love learning how special effects were done on the old westerns. :happycowboy:

https://www.metv.com/stories/creating-a-fake-sandstorm-was-no-easy-task-while-filming-the-rifleman

Posted : 12/09/2020 9:16 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

Thanks for sharing, Flabirder! That certainly sounds like it was harrowing. I thought they did that particular scene on a soundstage and just blew up some dirt for a few minutes. They certainly were dedicated!

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2020 11:52 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Admin

I also have an article on the ranch website about this sand storm: The Rifleman 1959 October TV Guide Article, it's called pardon our dust.....

Thanks flabirder for sharing this article.

"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2020 7:05 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

Thanks for sharing, Cowgirl.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2020 7:28 am
Judy
 Judy
(@judy)
Micah Torrance Ranch Hand, Alumni

Thanks to Flabirder and Cowgirl, for your interesting articles. I enjoyed both of them! :happycowboy:

In remembrance of my beloved son: "Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish, meaning "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ by TobyMac ( https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2020 8:50 am
flabirder
(@flabirder)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the article Cowgirl. It was interesting. Too bad they couldn't use the real sand storm in the episode.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2020 2:14 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Ranch Hand, Alumni

this was an interesting story. I am even surprised that in the 1950's they were even careful enough for the actors and all involved to use fake sand. probably better for everyones health

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 8:29 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

this was an interesting story. I am even surprised that in the 1950's they were even careful enough for the actors and all involved to use fake sand. probably better for everyones health
Well, it was in the United States and Johnny was just a kid and absolutely vital for the success of the show. Those factors probably made them super cautious about doing scenes that could be hazardous for the stars.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 8:51 am
flabirder
(@flabirder)
Trusted Member

Well, it was in the United States and Johnny was just a kid and absolutely vital for the success of the show. Those factors probably made them super cautious about doing scenes that could be hazardous for the stars.

I agree. They may not have been so cautious with the adults but they didn't take chances with kids. Besides that, real sandstorms can severly damage equipment & even in the 50s, those cameras and lights were super expensive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 3:33 pm
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

I didn't think about the equipment but you're right, Flabirder. A real sandstorm could have destroyed equipment that would have been pretty expensive to replace.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 3:45 pm
Share: