Notifications
Clear all

I love Mark, BUT...  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

...how many times did that boy blab about something and cause trouble? :laughingcowboy: I just watched Flowers by the Door, and there's Mark telling a strange man all about a young pretty woman all by herself because her husband is away. Of course people were less guarded in those days, and certainly if the man Mark was talking to wasn't a serial killer no harm would have been done, but still. Sometimes it seemed like Mark's tongue was fastened in the middle, it wagged so much. Anybody else with a time when Mark talked out of turn and it caused a problem?

<><

Posted : 21/08/2020 8:47 am
wildwest
(@wildwest)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Ranch Hand, Alumni

In The Sister Mark was asking Rebecca all kinds of questions and telling her about Lucas trying to fix them up. it was a problem for Lucas

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2020 9:05 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

Mark always talked out of turn. In Second Witness, Luke was hoping to keep it quiet that he was going to testify in a murder trial but there's Mark bragging about it so everybody knew about Luke testifying, including the killer's brother, who then showed up to murder Luke.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2020 9:12 am
TheUglyBugBall
(@theuglybugball)
Blueboy

Having been in isolation for six months with mostly just my roommates to talk to, I can understand why Mark enjoyed talking to anyone new! Ranch life must have been kind of lonely, even with Mark going to school regularly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2020 10:58 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

Oh, I get why Mark liked to talk to people but he never seemed to have any inhibitions on what he said! Did you ever see Rome? They had a marvelous minor character, a guy who stood on a pedestal and cried the news to everyone who passed. That was Mark. He talked about being a lot of different things when he grew up, but his perfect job would have been reporter for a newspaper.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2020 11:00 am
lilyrose
(@lilyrose)
Gunfighter

That's so true, Zanza! He should be a reporter! 🙂

With a smile on my face, I wake up to a brand new day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2020 11:47 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

Investigative reporter, that's the job for Mark. The only problem would be if he could keep a big scoop under his hat until it was time to print it.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2020 12:57 pm
Duchess McCain
(@duchess-mccain)
Razor Alumni

It's hard for me to fault Mark for this because I was a crazy outgoing kid. I would have talked to anyone, and probably said too much!

Sometimes, like in the Martinet, someone was probing him, so it wasn't necessarily his fault. He was still young and that kind of discretion takes time to develop. (I for one am *still* working on knowing when to bite my tongue!) :grinning-cowboy:

If you climb in the saddle be ready for the ride.Duchess McCain :coolcowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2020 1:08 pm
Duchess McCain
(@duchess-mccain)
Razor Alumni

Investigative reporter, that's the job for Mark. The only problem would be if he could keep a big scoop under his hat until it was time to print it.

I think so, especially by the time he was old enough to work. He did a pretty good job keeping a secret in First Wages! 😊

If you climb in the saddle be ready for the ride.Duchess McCain :coolcowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2020 1:09 pm
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

I think so, especially by the time he was old enough to work. He did a pretty good job keeping a secret in First Wages! 😊

That's a good point, Duchess. Like you said, in The Martinet, Mark didn't exactly spill the beans. He was tricked, although Luke was disappointed that Mark was bragging when he had told him so many times that it was never good to kill a man. In First Wages, it was Mark's own secret, so maybe he would be better at keeping a scoop as a reporter because that would be his own secret. Of course in First Wages Mark was also thinking of how awesome it was going to be to surprise Luke with a birthday gift that he bought with his own money, so in that case I think his love for his father helped him as well.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2020 1:38 pm
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

It's hard for me to fault Mark for this because I was a crazy outgoing kid. I would have talked to anyone, and probably said too much!
My sister is like that. She's always out of the loop unless it's something the family wants everybody to know. :laughingcowboy:

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2020 1:39 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

In Panic, Mark casually mentioned his Pa was caring for a couple with yellow fever.

P.S. another blabbermouth was Sweeney!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2020 8:29 pm
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

In Panic, Mark casually mentioned his Pa was caring for a couple with yellow fever.
I could never understand why Luke didn't talk to Mark about not publishing every jot and tittle of their private lives. There were times when Mark put his father's life in jeopardy, like in The Martinet. In Panic, Mark's loose lips could have cost them their home. I suppose secretiveness or even just reticence was so foreign to Luke's nature that he never really thought of it, but there were so many times when Mark innocently mentioned letting the cat out of the bag and Luke would look so exasperated.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2020 8:39 pm
lilyrose
(@lilyrose)
Gunfighter

I really can't agree with you Zanza, about Mark being a blabbermouth since... I'm kind of one with my family but not with any strangers or anybody outside of my family. I'd never do it in public though...

With a smile on my face, I wake up to a brand new day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2020 8:38 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

I really can't agree with you Zanza, about Mark being a blabbermouth since... I'm kind of one with my family but not with any strangers or anybody outside of my family. I'd never do it in public though...
Well, if you don't blab to strangers or anybody outside your family or in public, I'd say you were pretty much the opposite of Mark. :laughingcowboy:

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2020 8:40 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: