Skip to toolbar
Notifications
Clear all

Mark being protective of Luke  

RSS
Zanza
(@zanza)
Honorable Member

Luke was the big guy with the rifle. He was a bear protecting his cub. However, that cub was pretty protective back. Two scenes in particular stand out to me. One was The Marshal, when Luke got shot. At the end, Luke is pretty well fixed up but Doc wants to keep him in town for a few days. Mark is such a little chap, but he just snaps that he's taking his father home and he can take care of his pa, and nobody has the nerve to tell him no. On the face of it, it was ridiculous. Certainly Luke should have stayed in town at least overnight, he's four times the size of Mark, what if he took a turn for the worse? Nope. Mark was completely confident he could take care of Luke all by himself, and he must have done a good job because by the next episode Luke was all better. :laughingcowboy:

The other scene that I find particularly memorable in this regard is Dark Day at North Fork. Once again, as soon as possible, Mark wants to get Luke home so he can take care of him. Well, Mark is older, he's pretty capable, and Luke just has his eyes bandaged. No reason why he shouldn't go home. But then Micah rode out to tell Luke that some scallywag was going to try and kill him, and Mark thought that Micah didn't trust him to take care of his father. I get a bit of a chuckle out of Mark's face, you can just see how irked he is that someone might question his ability to take care of Luke. I just love Mark being protective of his father. Please share if you have favorite scenes like these. :happycowboy:

<><

Posted : 24/06/2020 11:49 am
lilyrose
(@lilyrose)
Honorable Member

Mark is a great character and Johnny Crawford is the best kid actor that I know of! I love how Johnny expresses Mark so perfectly!
By the way, I have a new Quiz topic in the Games/trivia forum.

With a smile on my face, I wake up to a brand new day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2020 11:59 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Honorable Member

Mark was so sweet. I just watched Hostages to Fortune and the scene where Mark is telling Luke about how Mr Bullock knows more about geometry than anybody else is so poignant. Mark had asked Luke earlier about geometry, and Luke said he didn't know anything about it. The look on Luke's face when Mark said so admiringly about Mr Bullock and geometry, you could just see he felt bad about being ignorant of this subject and not able to help his boy. And Mark saw it immediately and said that Mr Bullock asked foolish questions about cattle, building Luke back up and letting him know he was still the best man in the world in his son's eyes. That's another thing I love about Mark and Luke. They were so gentle with each other's souls.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2020 2:57 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)
Illustrious Member Ranch Hand, Alumni

in Waste Lucas wanted Mark to leave and Mark said No. he wanted to stay and help the situation

My words just got Mark all riled up . "We've already settled that Pa. I'm not goin'! If we do get out of this it'll be together or...or not at all. Pa, they cut up Micah something awful...someone's got to take care of him!" Mark was worried for me. "You can't do it alone! And even if you do send me off, I'll come right back and jump one of them with a rock. I swear I will!"

Long Gun From Tucson when Mark wants to help and Lucas gives him the 'growing up time' speech Later Mark is crying with Billy Hughes, both great actors at crying.....and I am crying

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2020 9:06 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Honorable Member

Long Gun From Tuscon was a good one. I also like those words from Mark's Memories. That really says it all. Mark may be an emotional kid, but he's tough as an old boot and he's not afraid to stand up to anyone, including Luke, in defense of his father.

Another scene that gets to me is Short Rope for a Tall Man, where Mark is telling off the posse and saying that he bought the horses. I swear it's like he was trying to get himself killed too, if he's old enough to buy stolen horses, he's old enough to hang for it. Luke wanted Mark to live through this, but it seems Mark had different ideas and he would have preferred to die with his father.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2020 9:23 am
lilyrose
(@lilyrose)
Honorable Member

What all of you said is all true...
Mark and Lucas are great characters and their love for each other was so amazing. The way Lucas would put down his gun to save Mark, the way Mark would tackle anybody if they hurt his pa....
The person who created the Rifleman created the greatest father and son Western TV show!

With a smile on my face, I wake up to a brand new day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2020 7:56 am
Share: