Skip to toolbar
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Mark's Room  

RSS
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Member Admin

Mark McCain was a fine contribution to The Rifleman and as important to the show as the rifleman himself. Let's give him the attention he deserves by talking about Johnny's character, his sweet nature and sensitivity. Always learning from Lucas sometimes the hard way, fear of losing his only parent, times he got into trouble, their respect for each other, and how he was portrayed as a motherless kid but had the insight and determination of a disciplined adult. Let's share our thoughts about Johnny Crawford the actor, musician, teen idol and downright fabulous guy.

Judy M

Posted : 09/05/2017 7:13 pm
Jules07
(@jules07)
Eminent Member

After getting my Rifleman fix today I watched Wagon Train. Low and behold there was little Johnny Crawford playing a boy named Jimmy. Sadly his character was sick and died. My guess by the size of Johnny is that this was just before he starred in the Rifleman.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2018 6:08 pm
Deneen
(@deneen)
Famed Member Ranch Hand, Alumni

Oh Yesss - I saw that episode of "Wagon Train" too! :happycowboy:

I was gonna do some house work. But when I saw Johnny - I had to sit down and watch. Johnny was only in two scenes but I was excited to see him.
Soo darn cute! 🙂

That "Wagon Train" episode first aired on April 9, 1958. "The Rifleman" first aired on September 30, 1958.

~Deneen~

* Johnny Crawford *You Are In My Prayers :angel5:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2018 7:40 pm
Deneen
(@deneen)

All I can say is - Johnny Crawford was born to be Mark McCain! :foxes_353:

~Deneen~

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2018 7:50 pm
NorthRidge
(@northridge)
Trusted Member

I think Mark and I would have been good friends.

For one thing, at that age (12 years old to start with), we both liked candy a lot (I still do).

And we both like fast things (Mark: horses; me cars).

I forgot to mention the candy to Johnny last time I saw him in 2018. He probably would have laughed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2019 12:56 pm
Deneen
(@deneen)

Johnny/Mark was my imaginary boyfriend as a kid. :love:
Johnny probably still likes candy. :happycowboy:

I wonder if Rock Candy is his favorite?

I remember eating rock candy as a kid. It sure was hard on the teeth. :laughing:

Rock Candy & Whiskey - I heard it was a great remedy for all ailments. (LOL)

~Deneen~

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2019 3:20 pm
NorthRidge
(@northridge)
Trusted Member

I remember rock candy. Didn't eat that often... hard on the teeth as was jaw breakers.

Yes, he probably likes candy still. Maybe not ju-ju bees, though. Maybe gummi bears!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2019 7:16 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)
Illustrious Member Ranch Hand, Alumni

I think I saw an interview once where Johnny said.....after he started the show.....he became Mark. He loved westerns and horses etc. and you can tell Johnny and Chuck became Father and Son on screen and lifelong friends off screen.

it appears Johnny had a good and sound home life and did not fall into the pitfalls of many child actors. I think he has been underrated as a child actor and as The Rifleman is now being shown in reruns it is being seen by a new generation of viewers and also us older ones look at the show with a different appreciation of the family values it portrays.

Lucas and Mark going to church (although we never saw them in church), Lucas reading the Bible, the lesson at the end of each episode, second chances, justice, Lucas giving Mark his water and food in Ordeal knowing it could mean his life, neighbors helping neighbors, rough justice only when necessary, hard work, responsibility, love and I could go on.

and to think it was written in the 50's when TV was still in its infancy, Wow, we need more of this, can ya tell I am a ....card carrying Rifleman fanatic??

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2019 8:58 am
Share: