Notifications
Clear all

The Vision  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Admin Admin

I have one question about something said by Mark's mother. When she says but Mark there are books too, he says Oh I know we get them in the 6th grade. What did he mean school books? I thought he always had books. How else do they learn?

"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posted : 11/05/2017 3:57 am
Deneen
(@deneen)
Mark McCain Ranch Hand, Alumni

I know, I wondered that too. Even back then I doubt if they waited til the 6th grade for school books. And I seriously doubt if Lucas would have waited til Mark was in the 6th grade to get him some kind of book to have at home.
I got a reprint of a spelling book from 1889 with really easy spelling words to start with. When everyone went to a one-room schoolhouse did they delineate the grades that way? I know different age groups were taught different lessons, but I can't imagine not having any schoolbooks until the 6th grade. Let's see, if Mark was 10 when they got to Northfork he would have been in 6th grade then, right (starting with Kindergarten at age 5)? So that means that would have been the age he learned from a testbook. Doesn't make sense.

* Johnny Crawford *You Are In My Prayers :angel5:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:33 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

I wondered about that, too.  Mark had books in The Visitor, The Spoiler, and others he had them tied to his saddle.   To me, that entire comment about the books was useless and made no sense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:35 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

If when she said "but Mark there are books too" and he said "oh yes I have a lot of book learning" then it would have been alright. I think he was going on about how strong and tough his father was and she wants to make sure he is learning in school. Plus Mark mentions Lucas smoking his pipe and that was wrong. He only smokes cigars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:37 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

Right, that was confusing when he nodded with that really disgusted look and said "We get them in the 6th grade", like it was SUCH a bummer to him, lol. It sounded like he had never gotten them before and was NOT looking forward to them at all! Really liked your comments about this markisddg and Gloria : ) Right on!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:39 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

Ii always thought he was just saying he's in sixth grade now and gets books.  He wasn't saying he hasn't gotten them before...I never really took it any other way.

They had to buy their own school books back then.  When they go off to school, they carry their own books, which many times were the same books their parents used in school (unlike today where the books change every two or three years)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:41 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

Well, yes, that could be it too, Michelle. Good prespective. But why does he say "We get them in the 6th grade" like it's unusal or something. Don't know why he woud say it at ALL, since he's had them all along (?)
He was SOOO cute in that whole scene!!!!!!!!!!

I WISH someone could answer that question I asked ages ago about what Mark's mother is saying when he says "Brook sure is cold" and she kinds of turns away and says SOMETHING..that still drives me crazy everytime I see it (and I'm sure everyone knows how often THAT is). I keep trying to get it... guess I'm obsessed with this like I am Mark...so I guess I'm bringing it up again to see if someone might know it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:42 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

Because he was in the sixth grade.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:44 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

True I guess, but I still think it's weird no matter what.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:46 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

Sorry Michelle but I still don't understand why Mark says that about the sixth grade...even if he is in 6th grade is this the only time he has had school books? It makes no sense.

Rhia, I still think that the vison says "it's name is Leapy or Leafy." telling Mark the name of the brook.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:49 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

I agree markisddg, there just doesn't seem to be any reason for Mark to say that. It would make much more sense to me if he said something like (with the same expression) "I know, we've had them since 3rd grade" or something.

Thanks for answering about what his Ma says.. I don't know. I have to watch it yet again. If I recall by her body language she seems kind of upset and looks away (?) Which is why I thought she might be saying "he must leave me" or something, like she knew he couldn't stay there. Was she looking at the rope? Gotta check it out again. It doesn't sound like she says that, so..who knows ?? Anyway thanks again!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:53 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

Yes I know what you mean the way she looks up the rope and says her line....But the tone of her voice is rather upbeat unlike before when she says "You aren't really trying Mark." I'll also check it out again.

As for that line about the books...when she says "But Mark there are books too. Here's what Mark should have said...."Oh I know we have plenty of books I especially like to discuss Shakespeare, Dickins, Twain and Chaucer for pleasure, they also have us studying Proust who if I may quote " as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress" and Sartre oh wait they haven't been born yet. As for social thinking I tend to advocate Karl Marx's teachings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:55 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

OMG that's so amazing. How do you know all that? I couldn't quote from any of them except maybe Mark Twain. Love this quote from him:
"God created war so Americans would learn geography"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:56 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

Thanks, I just looked up Marcel Proust and quotations from his books. Of course he wasn't even writing at the time too young. I also notice in The Vision (saw it again today) that when he says how the brook is cold she has been looking at the rope and knows that he can't stay with her he must go back to HIM. She turns towards him and I believe tells him the name of the brook..I still say "It's name is Leapy." Mark says how pretty the place is.

Also notice when they discuss Lucas they keep referring to Lucas as HIM. Never Pa or Lucas. I found that funny. She even says "give this to him until we can all be together." I think that is a magical episode and that is exactly how a vision would present itself. Mark's memory of Hazel at the wagon train as his mother and not wanting to go up the rope to Lucas all the forces fighting against each other to live or die. What a great depiction of heaven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 5:58 am
Deneen
(@deneen)

I agree about everything but I just can't undestand the name.. why a brook or the place would be named "Leapy." You're probably right, but I need stuff to make sense to me.

It seemed to me she was saying something more to herself than to Mark, after looking at the rope. I must be missing something. Ok, I need to just let it go : )

I also never thought of that place as Heaven. I missed that too. Because they are BELOW the rope and Lucas. Like Mark fell down there or something (?). He also says "I want to stay down here with you" I guess Heaven could be anywhere (?)
Anyway, good observations, markisddg!!!

No matter what, I just LOVE this episode!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 6:02 am
Page 1 / 4
Share: