Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Attention: Migrating the messageboard  

RSS
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Admin Admin

The riflemanconnorsforum.com name is being changed to http://www.themccainranch.com/forum/ which was the original name years ago. themccainranch will be on it's own server once it is fully migrated.

Please note that there are ongoing issues for now and to please limit your posting until we get fully moved in.

Cowgirl

"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posted : 09/10/2020 8:05 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Member Admin

Despite errors (we are still working on those) it should be ok to members to come around and try and post. I posted a workaround for the one error we get. It's scary looking when it errors but the posts do go through. The error is for the landing page after posting. Hit the "Return to Index page" link on the error and it should bring you back around.

We are waiting for the hosts input on fixing these problems at this time. In the meantime please use the workaround above and clear your browser cache (last 24 hours or most recent) before logging in. It doesn't hurt to copy your posts before hitting the Submit button too.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2020 10:26 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Member Admin

We've had some feedback from the host which was a little helpful. I'm hoping that things are improving.

Edit: spoke too soon I think. Errors are on and off.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2020 4:26 pm
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Member Admin

Well here is the latest from my end. As some of you know Cowgirl is eventually migrating her website into WordPress content system. Our forum software before was called phpBB and was a separate thing from the website. 

Cowgirl and I have been working together to get all of her "cookies into one jar" so to speak. Of course, there is always some havoc going on when this happens. 

To date, the forum has been migrated not once, but twice. Firstly a phpBB to phpBB (which gave us much grief this past week or so). That was a change of one server to another. That business done, we set on doing repairs on damage from the move. Once we had it to the best point we could, we migrated the "new" phpBB into her new Wordpress installation, to a Wordpress add-on called "wpForo".  

wpForo is not as fancy at phpBB so we are basically downsizing some which is fine because people are busy these days anyway. 

Cowgirl and I are still learning the new format at this time. I've used Wordpress itself a lot but not with this particular forum. 

We may not be able to use the "post images" add-on because it was a phpBB thing. However, the attachments on wpForo is quite easy to use. Just one click and upload your photo.

I also notice there are a lot of duplicate photos on posts. This we will deal with in time. 

We may need to call upon the Ranch Hands once again to help us sort out link and image breakage. We believe that most if not all information is here. It is just a matter of fixing connections. I can provide any Ranch Hand volunteers with a link to the phpBB installation in order to them to compare and/or download the photos to repair broken "post image" links here. 

We may need a workaround for videos. I haven't checked into it that far yet.

We are working on user group set up as well for alumni and ranch hands etc. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the option for having badges anymore. 

We appreciate your ongoing patience and understanding during this time. 

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2020 10:34 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)
Illustrious Member Ranch Hand, Alumni

@judymcl     thank you for all you and Cowgirl do to keep the Ranch open.  I had some problems logging in but  IT WAS ME!!  Cowgirl finally roped me in and I am at the Ranch now.  have a great week!

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2020 8:48 pm
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Member Admin

@wildwest great, glad you got sorted! I am working on some new "siggy" badges for the ranch hands/alumni folks. 

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2020 10:12 pm
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Admin Admin

This is a really neat design! I love it!

"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2020 6:49 pm
Morgan
(@morgan)
Trail Boss

Haha! 😂 I was sooo confused when the old forum website wouldn’t load. That’s what happens when you don’t check the announcements for weeks on end! Thanks for setting me on the right path, Cowgirl!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2020 12:54 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Member Admin

Our apologies for all the disruption. It's a long road getting one's eggs into one basket. Kinda like that pesky chicken of Marks who wouldn't lay in the nest like she was supposed to lol.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2020 2:28 pm
Morgan
(@morgan)
Trail Boss

No need to apologize! I’ve worked on websites before and it’s quite a task... thanks again for all your hard work!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2020 3:33 pm
Share: