Skip to toolbar
Notifications
Clear all

Lucas McCain hat worn during the The Rifleman series  

RSS
eisdt1
(@eisdt1)

Hello, my apologies if this is not the correct location for this inquiry, but I will proceed in the hopes that someone can guide me elsewhere or provide some helpful info.

I have seen some quality western hat manufactures offering a hat as The Rifleman hat or style of hat, and in contacting them none have been able to provide any history or source of the original maker or where they obtained the specifications to make their style of it or an authentic reproduction of the hat Chuck wore in the series.
I have searched and searched for some mention of any archive, owner, or source of the original hat, and think that likely the original is within the family.
This hat is a very specific style in its blocking/shaping, and with what is an appx. 1.25 inch wide leather head band secured possibly with a leather tie securing two D-rings on the ends of the band, as well as, having two metal (tin, silver, pewter,?) conchos that are oval in shape with a possible button center of the same material or possibly an inlaid turquoise stone as some reproduction indicate.
Of the many online photos, none that I have found show the conchos in enough resolution to note further details. Occasionally, these can be briefly seen during the show, but not enough to gain details
Given the high cost of a reproduction hat, authenticity is important to me, rather than having someones interpretation of the style, so I would be hoping to find a source for an "authentic reproduction" or as close as possible that is based on knowing the specifications of the original.
Thanks for reading this and sharing any related info that might be helpful.

Posted : 05/08/2020 9:58 pm
Judy
 Judy
(@judy)
Micah Torrance Ranch Hand, Alumni

Hello eisdt1, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I don't have any information on the hat you are speaking of, but I did want to welcome you.

In remembrance of my beloved son: "Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish, meaning "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ by TobyMac ( https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 8:05 am
wildwest
(@wildwest)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Ranch Hand, Alumni

welcome as well to the Ranch. its an interesting post you have here. I will be interested in the information you gather about this. I think Chuck changed hats a couple of times during the show.

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 8:13 am
Judy
 Judy
(@judy)
Micah Torrance Ranch Hand, Alumni

Here take a look at this web site, and see if you find an answer to your post: https://tinyurl.com/y3k47ds5

In remembrance of my beloved son: "Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish, meaning "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ by TobyMac ( https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 8:14 am
Duchess McCain
(@duchess-mccain)
Razor Alumni

Hmmm. My guess is that there isn't an "official" Rifleman hat, given how tight LGL company with their copyright. If there were an official hat (like the DVDs), my guess is that they'd want it on their exclusive website.

That being said - there could be a very loyal fan who tries to make as accurate a replica as they can. From the picture you attached, I'd say that looks pretty close!

Best of luck! 👍

If you climb in the saddle be ready for the ride.Duchess McCain :coolcowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 2:46 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

whatever hat it would be.....no one looked better in a cowboy hat than our beloved Sodbuster. those blue eyes, strong chin, blond hair. handsome

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2020 8:08 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Admin

I'm sorry I can't help you with this. I sorta remember something being mentioned in the past, but never made note of it. Maybe it has to do with Zane Grey Theatre - The Sharpshooter. When The Rifleman got it's own series, they wanted him to have a bigger horse for his size, maybe this was the same with the hat, a better hat. not just an everyday hat for The Rifleman.

Sorry I can't help anymore than that!

Welcome to the ranch eisdt1. Nice to see you posting!

"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2020 10:07 am
lilyrose
(@lilyrose)
Gunfighter

Good luck!

With a smile on my face, I wake up to a brand new day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2020 10:50 am
eisdt1
(@eisdt1)

Thanks to all of you that have viewed my inquiry, welcomed me, and/or responded with a comment.

As an update comment to all you fans, I messaged Johnny Crawford's official fan site, and I received feedback from one of the team members who follows and answers to inquiries such as mine. Of course Johnny could not provide a response, but they reached out to Steve Connors. Unfortunately, he could not offer any further information, nor could he confirm that the hat was in the families possession after the series ended.
He did provide the same name of one of the custom hat makers that he said makes a very good reproduction.

For kicks, any of you interested can see both Lucas' hat and one of Mark's hats setting on a nightstand together along with the Winchester, at the very end of the Season 5, Conflict episode; makes a great Rifleman picture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2020 2:38 pm
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

I too love this picture!

Does anybody remember the name of the episode where at the end of the episode we see Lucas & Mark's rifles together in a rifle stand?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2020 4:43 am
wildwest
(@wildwest)

I got it but I will let another Ranch Hand go for it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2020 10:02 am
Morgan
(@morgan)
Trail Boss Ranch Hand

Does anybody remember the name of the episode where at the end of the episode we see Lucas & Mark's rifles together in a rifle stand?

I got it but I will let another Ranch Hand go for it

This has been driving me crazy, because I’ve had a picture of this in my head for probably well over a year now, but I can’t find the episode. The closest thing I can find is at the end of Gun Shy where we see Lucas set Mark’s rifle beside his own rifle, but only Lucas’s rifle is in the stand. Is this what you two are talking about, or is there a shot with both their rifles in a stand?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2020 9:26 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

thats what I was thinking .... Gun Shy where Mark was going to run away .... at the end when they are back at the Ranch Lucas puts Marks rifle next to his by the door. sweet shot ... and the shot of Lucas without his shirt was sweet also

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/09/2020 10:12 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

This has been driving me crazy, because I’ve had a picture of this in my head for probably well over a year now, but I can’t find the episode. The closest thing I can find is at the end of Gun Shy where we see Lucas set Mark’s rifle beside his own rifle, but only Lucas’s rifle is in the stand. Is this what you two are talking about, or is there a shot with both their rifles in a stand?

Yes, it was only Lucas' rifle in the stand!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2020 5:59 am
Share: