Notifications
Clear all

Lucas McCain and Atticus Finch  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS
wildwest
(@wildwest)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Ranch Hand, Alumni

Both are widowers with a child or children. Lucas and Mark have Hattie.  Atticus,  Jim, and scout have ms. Maddie. Neither Lucas or Atticus spank their kids, but figure what their offspring don't know won't hurt them. Both are community leaders. Both are crack shots. Unpleasant tasks are often meted out to both men. Paul fix figures prominantly in both stories. Lucas and Atticus defend innocent men from charges of unlawfully touching a woman. Mark shames Mrs  Boyle out of killing his pa.  Scout nonchalant "hey Mr. Cunningham. " quelled a mob from lynching Tom Robinson. Gregory peck will always be Atticus finch,  but imagine chuck in that role! I wonder if Johnny was ever considered for Jim.

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:
Ranch Hand Badge - Helper

Writers Corner

Posted : 11/05/2017 4:50 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Hey Random great comparison of two great characters. I never thought about how similar they were. Wonder if Paul Fix thought of Lucas McCain at the time. My favorite scene is when Scout thwarts a lynching and love Mark speaking up to Ma Boyle. (Great acting there too)

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Also both Atticus and Lucas adore their kid (s) and the feeling is mutual. Atticus and Lucas are innately courteous and chivalrous.  Mark and scout both hate school with a passion and each has at least one altercation with the teacher. While Atticus and Lucas both treat the "victim" of a made-up attack  with a sort of a professional courtesy, only the gentlemen who are falsely accused show the young women tenderness and kindness.

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
wildwest
(@wildwest)

I have read Gregory peck and chuck were great friends. I wonder if Gregory peck and Paul fix kept in touch.  Mark is fascinated with outlaws and gunfighter. Scout and jem are enthralled with local legend boo radley.

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2017 4:51 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Atticus remains calm when scout asks him what rape is. Lucas practically has apoplexy when Mark asks what a hussy is.

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2017 4:51 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Great similarities!! How about when Jem and Scout are persued by a revengeful cracker (alienated by the whole county) with his intent to kill Atticus's children. Mark is also put in a position of being killed by a revengeful Neff Packer to make Lucas sell his land. (A Friend in Need).

Lucas taught Mark about tolerance and how to not be prejudice because of differences in people. Atticus taught his children about racism and how he couldn't tell his children what to do if he didn't accept the job of defending a "Negro." I think you said that.

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2017 4:52 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Both Atticus and Lucas have no need for female companionship. They are both busy raising their children. They both tell their children to leave poor people alone. (Boo Radley and Colly Vane)

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Atticus made his son read to a neighbor lady who was addicted to morphine.   Lucas hired a wounded war veteran who repulsed Mark.  Markisdg,  you make me wonder if some of the town ladies were interested in Atticus, but scout left that part out.  Scout, Jim, and their father seemed content with having a housekeeper,  aunt, and neighbor lady for a feminine influence, Mark wanted a new ma , but I think the reality would have been a big contrast to his fantasy and dream.

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
wildwest
(@wildwest)

I only read the condensed version of Mockingbird but I know the aunt was not in the movie just the housekeeper, Calpurnia. You can't put everything from the book in the film but they did a damn good job. I think Maudie next door was quite partial to Atticus. I thought she narrated the film but that was actress, Kim Stanley. (wonderful voice)

David O. Selznick tried to put too much in his film GWTW and wound up with a 4 hour movie.

Quick story about Mockingbird. We were watching the film in high school as juniors and it was the very end when Scout walked Boo to his home. The bell rang and no one moved.

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2017 4:53 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Atticus admonished his children it was a sin to kill a mockingbird.  Lucas admonishes Mark to only kill what he was going to eat.

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Both Atticus and Lucas valued education highly.  Atticus told Scout that she needed to go to school.  I love the countless times that Lucas says something to Mark about getting there on time so he gets his money's worth out of school, or about respecting books and learning, and of course "The Schoolmaster."

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Both scout and Mark hated school with a passion, duchess. They would do anything to get out of it. To both Lucas and Atticus,  having a guest was almost a sacred obligation and being rude to a guest a was practically a cardinal sin.

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2017 4:54 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Macomb was an old town. In addition to the great division between whites and African Americans, there is also a caste system between the white people there.  North Fork is a new town. Some times , people use their money for bad deeds, but it  is not a class-conscious place.

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Mark referred to  wade Randall as being free and easy like a mockingbird.  Was that a subtle plug or product placement for an anticipated 1962 film with paul fix?

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Scout comes home telling Atticus he's taught her to read all wrong and Atticus says they will compromise. You go to school and we'll go right on reading. Mark tells Lucas that the teacher said he should be doing his homework and not wasting time talking to his father. Lucas tells Mark to go back to school and say he's sorry. I guess Atticus and Lucas didn't see eye to eye.

The scene in The Indian when the townspeople don't consider Buckhart a real lawman and Lucas encourages the town people to go up against Micah and take over the town, they refuse. It reminds me when Scout inadvertently prevents a black man from getting lynched.

Writers Corner

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2017 4:55 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: