Notifications
Clear all

Two and a half Rifleman  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

While personality-wise, the Harpers and the McCains seemingly could not be more different, but there are some similarities. I realize two and a half men is not everyone's cup of tea, but if it is, put your lemon, cream and/or sugar in and let's compare and contrast!

Posted : 31/07/2020 6:42 pm
Judy
 Judy
(@judy)
Micah Torrance Ranch Hand, Alumni

Hmmm, interesting topic, Dana.

Similarities:

Lucas McCain was a single man with a son.

Alan Harper was a single man with a son.

Differences:

Lucas McCain had no help with raising Mark.

Alan Harper had a lot of help raising Jake, there was his brother Charlie, Berta, the housekeeper, and Alan's ex-wife, Judith, also had the responsibility of raising Jake when he was with her.

Lucas McCain owned the house he and Mark lived in.

Alan Harper and Jake lived, rent free, in his brother Charlie's house, and Walden invited Alan and Jake to stay with him after Alan saves him from financial ruin, and because he was a friend whose money went to alimony and child support.

In remembrance of my beloved son: "Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish, meaning "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ by TobyMac ( https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2020 8:14 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

I like to compare and contrast Rifleman with River of No Return. River is a movie, but still...

Similarities:

Luke McCain was a widower with a son named Mark.

Matt Calder was a widower with a son named Mark.

Luke and Matt both live in territories and depend heavily on their rifles.

They are both fiercely protective of their sons.

Differences:

Luke never remarried. Matt gets together in the end with Kay Weston, a saloon girl.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2020 9:25 am
Judy
 Judy
(@judy)

Back to this threads topic title of Two and a Half Rifleman.

Similarities:

The Rifleman was filmed in half-hour episodes.

Two and a Half Men was filmed in half-hour episodes.

Differences:

The McCain’s lived on a ranch in North Fork, New Mexico Territory.

The Harper’s lived in an luxurious oceanfront mansion in Malibu, California.

The view from the McCain’s front door was of a dusty barren countryside.

The view from the Harper’s patio was of a gorgeous ocean.

North Fork, New Mexico Territory, is a fictional town.

Malibu is a real place in California.

In remembrance of my beloved son: "Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish, meaning "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ by TobyMac ( https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2020 2:23 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Both Jake and Mark disliked school, would do anything to get out of going, and had at least one run-in with a teacher.

Both Jake and Mark snuck out after being forbidden to do something. Jake went to a Bucket of Hate concert. Mark rode in the Charity Day Race. Alan grounded Jake for three months. As far as we know, Mark jumped on Lucas's back for a piggy-back ride and all was well.

Both Jake and Mark play guitar, but Mark is not in a band.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2020 6:30 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Both Jake and Mark adore their scoundrel uncle's. When it comes to females of the opposite sex, Uncle Charlie has the morals of an alley cat. However, unlike Uncle Johnny, Uncle Charlie never tried to rob a bank.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/08/2020 10:11 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Jake and Arch Quinn sneak some whiskey-presumably from Arch Quinn's parents liquor cabinet. Jake and Gabe give a homeless guy with no kidneys named Satellite Jack $20 to buy him some beer.

Mark goes into an abandoned mine with Billy. Mark the proceeds to get into a mine train and ride into the depths of the cave. Jake and Eldridge fly off the roof in a shopping cart.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2020 11:17 pm
Judy
 Judy
(@judy)

Sort of off topic:
Both Jake and Mark adore their scoundrel uncle's. When it comes to females of the opposite sex, Uncle Charlie has the morals of an alley cat. However, unlike Uncle Johnny, Uncle Charlie never tried to rob a bank.

Dana, I crack up every time I read your post where you stated, 'Uncle Charlie has the morals of an alley cat'! :laughing:
You described Charlie perfectly! :yes: Of course, Alan wasn't much better. 😯

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2020 8:49 am
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Thank you, Judy. I think a lot of Alan's disapproval of Charlie came not from morality, but from jealousy and insecurity.

Nora sets up Lucas to kill Jude Nichols. I can't prove it, but I suspect Nora helped orchestrate the bar fight that killed Mr. Sanford. I also bet the girl Chad Morgan flirted with in San Francisco is wearing cement cowgirl boots and sleeping with the fishes at the bottom of the bay. Evelyn's first husband died because she did not know you aren't supposed to keep fish in a drawer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2020 1:53 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Lucas's best friend is Micah, of course. Berta is saltier and bawdier the Micah, and when all is said and done and at the end of the day she is Charlie's best friend.

Micah calls Lucas Lucasboy. Berta calls Alan Zippy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2020 8:20 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Alan accidentally scares Jake when Jake is looking at the dead guy. Jake freaks out because he thinks the dead guy knows his name. When Alan tells his beloved ex-stepfather Harry he always thought Harry was a good guy, Jake thinks it is funny to reply "Thanks, Alan. Do you want to know what time it is?"

Mark is really spooked by Canyon Town, but thinks it will be funny to go into the cave and scare Lucas and Micah. However, Mark freaks out when he finds the skeleton.

Alan is bemused with his boy. Lucas is not amused with his son

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2020 11:00 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Charlie hits on his ex-stepfather's young widow at said ex-stepfather's funeral. Charlie implies Alan is a widower by saying Alan lost his (ex)-wife, but has healed. Harry Chase (another Harry!) states he knew Millie's deceased brother Ted Scott from the Civil War, so he can hit on Millie. Harry says his wife and son died of cholera. Personal opinion: Harry Chase did have a wife and son, but they were very much alive.

Could Harry Chase be the great-great-great-great-et. cetera grandfather of Charlie and Alan?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2020 9:40 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Mark likes chicken and dumplings and fried chicken. Jake prefers the Cajun Chucky's chicken.

Mark adores apple pie. Jake favors banana cream pie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/09/2020 2:19 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Lucas provides a stable-pun intended-environment for Mark. The Harpers put the funk in dysfunctional. Mark has the rare combination of being both guileless and conniving. Subtlety is not Jake's forte. However, both Mark and Jake know exactly which buttons to press of their respective fathers (and uncle).

There is a strong bond and deep love between Lucas and Mark. You have to dig a little deeper, but there is also a strong bond and deep love between Alan, Charlie, and Jake.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2020 9:06 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Mark gets in big trouble when he stays quiet about Renalds grabbing the handcuff key when there is a mountain lion scare. Lucas and Mark will not be going to the county fair.

Jake gets in big trouble for pretending to be a mountain lion and scaring his father and uncle so badly they run into a lake. Alan makes Jake go to his room when they get home.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2020 3:25 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: