Notifications
Clear all

Nuns in the old West  

RSS
Dana
 Dana
(@dana)
Famed Member Alumni

I recently read At the End of the Santa Fe Trail by sister blandina segale. The book was published in 1932. Sister Blandina worked in both Colorado and New Mexico in the late 1800's. She belonged to the order of Mother Elizabeth Seton, America's first native-born saint. She lived, worked, and interacted with Catholics, non-Catholics, African-Americans, Caucasians, Mexicans, Native Americans, rich, poor, government officials, and outlaws. Details to follow.

Posted : 25/05/2019 6:09 pm
Dana
 Dana
(@dana)
Famed Member Alumni

I am not sure of the date, but in Trinidad, Colorado, Sister Blandina built a public school (finding resources herself), stopped a lynching, and talked Billy the Kid out of killing the town's four doctors.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2019 9:37 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Registered, Ranch Hand, Alumni

there were several western movies/TV with nuns

Two mules for Sister Sara (with Clint Eastwood)

an episode of Bonanza

2 episodes of Gunsmoke

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2019 9:40 am
Dana
 Dana
(@dana)
Famed Member Alumni

Wildwest, one of the things I don't understand is why doc burrage did not suggest or insist Lucas take Mark to a hospital in miracle at requiem springs. In Santa Fe or Albuquerque, mark and Lucas again meet Ann Dodd working as a nurse at hospital. She is a postulant about to take her final vows as a nun.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2019 7:35 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Ha.....Ann Dodd becoming a nun? that would probably kill Lucas, he had the 'hots' for her

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2019 7:37 am
Deneen
(@deneen)
Famed Member Ranch Hand, Alumni

Yep! :laughing:

~Deneen~

* Johnny Crawford *You Are In My Prayers :angel5:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2019 1:50 pm
Dana
 Dana
(@dana)
Famed Member Alumni

Ha.....Ann Dodd becoming a nun? that would probably kill Lucas, he had the 'hots' for her

Lucas would do the same thing he always does: have Mark haul buckets of cold water from the creek.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2019 10:15 pm
Deneen
(@deneen)
Famed Member Ranch Hand, Alumni

(LOL) :laughing:

~Deneen~

* Johnny Crawford *You Are In My Prayers :angel5:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2019 12:30 pm
Dana
 Dana
(@dana)
Famed Member Alumni

According to Across God's Frontiers, in the 1880's when the Sisters of Charity decided to build a three story trade school in Santa Fe, Sister Blandina Segale served as construction manager and site supervisor. She recruited backers, served as timekeeper for the laborers, procured and contracted for materials, and negotiated credit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2019 8:46 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

buckets of water from the creek.....ha

sounds like Sister Blandina was a talented lady!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2019 8:27 am
Dana
 Dana
(@dana)
Famed Member Alumni

buckets of water from the creek.....ha

sounds like Sister Blandina was a talented lady!

Wildwest and Deneen, Sister Blandina was born in Italy and immigrated to your neck of the woods-Ohio-when she was four. In Ohio, she opened or started what we would know today as a community center for Italians.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2019 11:24 am
wildwest
(@wildwest)

wow that is some amazing information. she was a pioneer in her field!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2019 7:07 am
Dana
 Dana
(@dana)
Famed Member Alumni

Sister Blandina Segale and the Sisters of Charity started the first nursing school, X-ray school, and blood bank in New Mexico. By 1883,the sisters of Charity were operating three hospitals in New Mexico.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/08/2019 9:26 pm
Dana
 Dana
(@dana)
Famed Member Alumni

In 1870's San Francisco, the Sisters of the Holy Name kept vigil for the dying, prepared the dead for burial, administered parish funds, conducted a sewing school for girls, and transported children to orphanages. The nuns also opened and operated what we would today call a day care center. Eventually, the Sisters worked in the kindergarten movement.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2019 8:49 pm
Share: