Skip to toolbar
Notifications
Clear all

Some fun facts about marshals  

RSS
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

I always get a kick out of how the movies portray marshals and their deputies. For instance, on the TV show Gunsmoke, Festus Haggen is a deputy even though he is illiterate. Such men could not be illiterate because a lot of their duties involved paperwork. Marshals and their Deputies served the subpoenas, summonses, writs, warrants, and other process issued by the courts, made all the arrests, and handled all the prisoners.

They also paid the fees and expenses of the court clerks, U.S. Attorneys, jurors, and witnesses. They rented the courtrooms and jail space and hired the bailiffs, criers, and janitors. They made sure the prisoners were present, the jurors were available, and the witnesses were on time.

Marshals also provided local representation for the federal government within their districts. They took the national census every 10 years through 1870. They distributed Presidential proclamations, collected a variety of statistical information on commerce and manufacturing, supplied the names of government employees for the national register, and performed other routine tasks needed for the central government to function effectively.

Marshals were appointed, not elected. In the movie Dark Command with John Wayne and Walter Pidgeon, the Duke plays one Bob Setton, a man who cannot read and who is nominated for town marshal. It's a pretty good movie despite these two glaring historical errors. Well, Hollywood. As they said in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, when the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

https://www.usmarshals.gov/history/general_practitioners.htm

https://www.usmarshals.gov/history/broad_range.htm

https://www.usmarshals.gov/history/roll_call.htm

<><

Posted : 18/06/2020 1:46 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Ranch Hand, Alumni

thank you very interesting

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2020 9:33 am
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

Glad you liked it!

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2020 10:47 am
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

In The Photographer, it looks like the trial is being held in a hotel/boarding house/ office. With what you said Zanza,it makes a kind of sense. Was Micah town treasurer as well?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 6:17 pm
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

Did the town have a treasurer? I would think John Hamilton took care of finances. However, Micah must have had some kind of funds for expenses related to posses, jailing scallywags, reimbursing citizens, and so forth.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 7:07 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Did the town have a treasurer? I would think John Hamilton took care of finances. However, Micah must have had some kind of funds for expenses related to posses, jailing scallywags, reimbursing citizens, and so forth.

Don't forget the hotel room for Lucas and Mark when Lucas filled in for Micah.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 7:51 pm
Zanza
(@zanza)
Gunfighter

Don't forget the hotel room for Lucas and Mark when Lucas filled in for Micah.

You're right! And there would have to be a meal allowance, at least for Luke. I bet they would have to reimburse Luke for all the ammunition he used, not to mention medical expenses. What about stable fees? And there must be a per diem for when men were deputized.

<><

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 9:35 pm
Dana2020
(@dana2020)
Reputable Member Alumni

Re courts: I work for a local court. The power-that be are trying to figure out how to conduct safe jury trials. I read recently that during the 1918 flu pandemic, jury trials were held outside.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2020 9:02 pm
Share: