Skip to toolbar
Notifications
Clear all

Those wonderful Western sidekicks  

RSS
wildwest
(@wildwest)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Ranch Hand, Alumni

Let's take a look at the co-stars...the sidekicks of many Western TV shows and Movies. So many times I think they are underrated and the shows would have not been as good without them and we see them appear in just about everything.
Let's list some of our favorites. Many were on the Rifleman and some were not. Some went on to star in their own show and many did not. Many of them had an unusual characteristic that defined them.

Chubby Johnson....On Rifleman 3 times......on shows with and without his teeth...ha
Gabby Hayes....gads I'm dating myself
Dub Tylor....father of Buck Taylor
Pat Butram
Jack Elam
Claude Akins.....would not be good watching if Jack or Claude was not in it
John Anderson
Michael Ansara
Lyle Bettger
Edgar Buchanan
Whit Bissell
John McIntyre
Ward Bond
Slim Pickens
Andy Devine
Jack Palance
Royal Dano
Dabbs Greer....how could we have had westerns without Royal and Dabbs....I do not know
Paul Fix...more than a co-star...I don't think you could watch a movie or TV show Paul was not in
Denver Pyle
Ray Teal
Peter Whitney
Smiley Burnette
Warren Oates
Lee Van Cleef
Glenn Strange....6 episodes of Rifleman and bartender on Gunsmoke

who are your favorites????

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Posted : 23/01/2019 2:12 pm
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Neville Brand
Slim Pickens
Will Geer
Charles Bronson
Mariette Hartley

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on." (Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2019 9:59 am
flabirder
(@flabirder)
Trusted Member

I guess I'm dating myself too because I also remember Gabby Hayes. When I started watching The Rifleman reruns as an adult, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Uncle Joe from Petticoat Junction guest starring as Doc Burrage & Grandpa Fogarty.

Some of my favorites were
Gabby Hayes
Pat Butram
Slim Pickens
Andy Devine &
Denver Pyle

Dabbs Greer also played Mr. Jonas on Gunsmoke and Reverend Alden on Little House on the Prairie.

Although Claude Atkins made a great bad guy, I always enjoyed seeing him playing the good guy.

As long as we're talking sidekicks, who can forget Dennis Weaver as Chester Goode, Burt Reynolds as Quint Asper, and Ken Curtis as Festus Haggen. I wish they would have let Ken sing more on Gunsmoke. He had a wonderful voice & was a member of the Sons of the Pioneers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/03/2019 5:34 pm
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Admin

Lassie & Timmy
Cpl. Rusty and Rin Tin Tin
Wyatt Earp and Shotgun Gibbs
Hopalong Cassidy and Red Connors
The Cisco Kid and Pancho

I too remember Gabby and etc. flabirder. Gabby was a sidekick to many. Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers (44 times), but also with Gene Autry (7) and Wild Bill Elliott (14), often working under the directorship of Joseph Kane (34).

Hayes, in real life an intelligent, well-groomed and articulate man, was often cast as a grizzled codger who uttered phrases such as "consarn it", "yer durn tootin'", "dadgummit", "durn persnickety female", and "young whippersnapper."

Gotta love this guy!

"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2019 5:06 am
wildwest
(@wildwest)

Great list Cowgirl. these people really made the Westerns and they were so underrated. and i Love the expressions you pointed out they used and were sometimes known by.

love how Chester called Matt... Mr DiIllon
and Festus called Matt.... Matthew and how he slurred the English language
Hoss used dadgummit all the time

those early westerns when TV was in its infancy were great

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2019 7:33 am
Share: