Notifications
Clear all

Where were you November 22, 1963?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

It was 46 years ago that President Kennedy was gunned down in Dallas, Texas.  I was not alive then (born 10 years later), but I remember hearing my mom tell the story of where she was as a child.  She was on the school bus coming home from school.  The bus driver was listening to the radio when the announcement was made.  My mother heard the Bus Driver's "Oh my gosh" (or some other variation thereof) and began crying as he stopped the bus, turned the radio off, stood up, and turned around.  "Children, I have some sad news," he said as he looked saddly and tearfully at the children.  "President Kennedy has been shot.  He's dead."

My mother's family didn't have a television.  They barely scraped by a living - my grandma a nurse and my grandpa worked for the highway department...but somehow, my grandpa bought their first television that day.  The family sat around their brand new television set so they could watch the funeral of the beloved President...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history.do?action=VideoArticle&id=7089

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jfk.htm - Here is the Website of Arlington Cemetary's dedication to JFK.  There are a lot of information on this as well as pictures, including one picture of his grave with the eternal flame his wife lit in his grave the day of his funeral.

---video no longer available---
While watching this video for the first time, it broke my heart and brought tears to my eyes.  President Kennedy was to make a speach.  In this video you see some men removing the presidential symbol from a podium in prepration of tearing it down.  It's really hard to watch this and I wasn't even alive.  I cannot even begin to imagine what this day was like for so many people.

May he continue to rest in peace.

Judy M

Posted : 14/05/2017 11:13 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was a bun in the oven for about one month on that date.  I was born a little over eight months later.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:15 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was very young and don't remember much except my mom watching the funeral procession on TV and hearing the cadence.  That is a haunting sound.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:15 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was in third grade when that happened. Our school didn't announce it, but as I was walking home with the other kids, an older boy that was a neighbor of mine rode buy on his bike yelling "they killed the President, they killed the President" Our school was kind of off to it's own and as we neared the town proper, I remember seeing flags out everywhere and people crying in the streets and on porches, etc. They were hugging and trying to comfort each other as best they could. I'd never seen anything like that before or since. It's like something died along with John Kennedy that day. I still remember the words of my one Uncle as we watched this unfold on tv. He said "it's a different world now" and you know, I think he was right!

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:16 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was in second grade and was home from school that day, with a sore throat or something. I think my mom was working part time then and was away from the house. (Back in those days you could leave your kid home alone if you trusted them.) I had just finished watching Bozo's Circus on WGN (Chicago) when they broke in with a news bulletin and I was home alone.

Not that it shook me up or anything, but I did know something pretty earthshaking had just happened. I think my recollection is pretty accurate as Bozo's show ended at 1pm (or just a little before that) and JFK was shot at 12:30. By the end of Bozo's Circus they had the news bulletins on TV.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:16 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was in the 9th grade, which in my day was still Junior High.  We had just gotten through with gym and were in the showers.  As we were getting dressed, I never heard anything myself, but one of the girls started crying; everyone asked her what was wrong - I'll never know how she found out when she was in there with us - but she told us about it.  (Maybe she had an illegal radio or something.)  Personally, I didn't believe it.  But then in our next class, the announcement came over the loudspeaker.  I must have cried for days.  I was supposed to spend the night with a friend and didn't want to go - but Mama, concerned that I was just staring at the TV, insisted.  I wasn't much of a playmate - I went out into the woods back of her house and just cried.  I can still call up that drumbeat from his funeral.  I'll hear that forever.  

I so greatly admired Mr. Kennedy - he was the last bit of interest in politics I ever had.  My dad had taken me to see him speak at Rice University in Houston in '61; he was the only President I had ever actually seen.  He spoke to my generation!  I thought he hung the moon.

That was just a bad, bad time - you youngsters don't quite understand.  First 1963, and two assassinations in 1968 - plus the Viet Nam war.  We figured the whole world was going to hell in a handbasket.  All our leaders were being destroyed.  I remember it all to this day.

Rest in peace, Mr. President.  RFK.  MLK.  Rest in peace.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:17 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was in 1st grade at Webster School in Quincy IL. We had just returned from lunch. Our classroom was the first classroom by the principals office. Mr Cozean the Principal came into the room and said that President Kennedy had been assasinated in Dallas TX. I raised my hand to ask " What does Assasinated mean?" Never forget it. May he RIP.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:17 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was 2.  It was pouring down rain in Little Rock, but I saw a toy in a catalog that I just had to have....my aunt (in charge of spoiling me) agreed to go to the store and get it.... My mother apparently heard about it on TV while my aunt was gone...

Renewed Fan

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:18 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was at school in the third grade.  Someone came around to tell all the classes.  When school was dismissed everybody was upset it seemed but me.  I didn't even know what a president was, but finally figured out that he was an important person.  I remember we watched the funeral on tv.  I was worried about his little girl and kept asking my mom who was taking care of her.  I also remember when his brother, Bobby, was killed.  He had just been on tv the night before.  It may not be true, but they both gave the impression that they really cared about people.  America has not been the same since.  Right after JFK was killed, we went into the Vietnam war and all the hippy and drug movement began.   😥

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:18 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

Do you know what RFK's last words were?  Is everyone else all right?

Yes, they both tried to find some good -

Has anybody here seen my old friend Abraham?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good they die young.
You know, I just looked around and he's gone.

Anybody here seen my old friend John?
I just looked around and he's gone.

Anybody here seen my old friend Martin?
I just looked 'round and he's gone.

Didn't you love the things that they stood for?
Didn't they try to find some good for you and me?
And we'll be free some day soon, and it's gonna be one day ...
Anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?
I thought I saw him walkin' up over the hill,
With Abraham, Martin and John.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:19 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was a twinkle in my parents eye.  I wasn't born until less than two years later.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:19 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

Do you know what RFK's last words were?  Is everyone else all right?

Yes, they both tried to find some good -

Has anybody here seen my old friend Abraham?
You know, I just looked around and he's gone.

Anybody here seen my old friend John?
I just looked around and he's gone.

Anybody here seen my old friend Martin?
I just looked 'round and he's gone.

Didn't you love the things that they stood for?
Didn't they try to find some good for you and me?
And we'll be free some day soon, and it's gonna be one day ...
Anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?
I thought I saw him walkin' up over the hill,
With Abraham, Martin and John.

Ohmygosh, There could be no better words from a dying man...then to show his compassion for others.  I wonder if he got the answer before he died.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:20 am
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was in school just finishing up lunch and getting ready to rehearse the
Thanksgiving Play.  The announcement came of the P.A. system.  Many of us kids didn't realize the impact, but we all knew something was terribly wrong by the mood of our teachers.  We kids felt kind of scared, but didn't know why or what for.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was in the fourth grade and we saw it happen right in front of us.
We just happened to be watching the president that day at school as part of our lessons.  Boy what a lesson it was... 🙁  Soon we got a notice from the principle that we were all going home.  It was a very horrible experience and terrible day in our history.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
judymcl
(@judymcl)
Mark McCain Admin

I was in my 5th grade class when the principal came to the
door and announced that the president had been shot.

Judy M

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2017 11:21 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: