Notifications
Clear all

Shooting in the saloon  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Lucas McCain/The Rifleman Admin

I noticed the other day while watching The Blowout and of course many other episodes where the cowboys get a bit rowdy and end up shooting into the ceiling of the saloon.

This is a photo from the Deadly Wait

You can see there is an upstairs in the North Fork Saloon

So why would these cowboys do this and be allowed to do this?

How many other episodes do we see these cowboy getting 'rowdy?'

I also noticed this in Gunsmoke and many other westerns.  Poor Kitty, I wonder how many bullets kitty dodged?  smiley_girllaughing

"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posted : 17/05/2017 6:38 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

How about Deadly Image, where Earl messed up the saloon?  Seeing that episode was the first time I saw Chuck play a bad guy.  Whoa.  When he turns it on, he's absolutely terrifying.  I would hate to make him truly mad. . .

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

Bloodlines - You can even see Micah shooting into the ceiling.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

The Marshal, The Sharpshooter, Strange Town (not Northfork, but the saloon in the strange town), Meeting at Midnight when Lucas' friend shoots all the liquor bottles.
I didn't know if you meant just when the saloon was shot up or when somebody was killed in the saloon too so I put some of both.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2017 6:41 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

Wonder if the local hardware/building supply store owner made lots of money from all the building repairs? There certainly seemed to be a casual attitude about shooting holes in walls, ceilings, windows, etc. With all the chores Mark had to do, I don't remember him being told to patch up bullet holes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2017 6:41 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

Gee Gloria, I didn't even think of all those all the liquor bottles they shoot up all the time.

Poor Sweeney!  :occasion5:

Hey Ava, I wonder who does do all that patch up work!? smiley_bash

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2017 6:42 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

I'm pretty sure that Little House is the only thing I've ever seen that actually shows a hole in the roof/repairing it.  

I can think of one episode where someone shot a hole through the McCain house roof.  I wonder who had to fix that?  Does anybody know of any other times. (I was once again thinking of Earl and KC playing with Lucas's gun)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2017 6:42 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

I can think of one episode where someone shot a hole through the McCain house roof.  I wonder who had to fix that?  Does anybody know of any other times. (I was once again thinking of Earl and KC playing with Lucas's gun)

We do see Lucas repairing the roof in The Obituary and in Stranger at Night we see Artemus working on the McCain's roof.
I can think of one episode where someone shot a hole through the McCain house roof.

What episode was that?  smiley_idea  

I can think of several times when they shot in the McCain house.  It's a good think everyone was such a good shot or Lucas would have had some repair work to do!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2017 6:43 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

Deadly Image again. 🙂  Sorry, sometimes it's hard to remember things when I only saw the episode once, almost 2 years ago.  But Deadly Image is on hulu so I watched it recently.  I will be very happy when I have my own dvds that I can watch!

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

I remember that when Earl shot the rifle into the roof...that guy scared me too. How about in Stopover when that guy Christopher Rolfe shot his gun twice into the McCain barn rafters....that wouldn't help much in the next rainfall.

In Sins of the Father I think we see a lot of gun play in the living room and two guys dead. I don't think I'd sleep too well that night knowing two guys died right outside the door and also in The Prodigal there was at least one guy dead.

As for the saloons you mentioned The Marshal, I think Andrew and Florry managed to shoot up the saloon not once but twice. "I think this is a puny no account saloon in a puny no account town. You have been paid in advance."

In Guilty Conscience Lucas shoots up the bottles in that saloon.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

Don't forget in Sidewinder when Lucas shoots six matches to light them, then Grid Maule shoots them out with his Colt revolver. Both of them are firing right at the front of a store behind the hitching post where the matches were stuck for the demonstration.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2017 6:44 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

“Like a witch’s brew”

Wymerman shot Doyle, which was met for Lariat & Lariat shot Wymerman in the Silver Dice Saloon.  Where do all these bullets go?  

I find it strange that the Silver Dice Saloon was right next to the North Fork Saloon.

Does anybody know what was next to the North Fork Saloon before the Silver Dice Saloon opened?  Or after?

BTW - When was the first ashtray invented?

I found this on the internet - The first examples probably date from the early 19th century, and ashtrays were in common use by the late Victorian period.

I noticed an ashtray on the table in Lariat.  I'm sure we could find more in the saloon scenes from other episodes.  They had to have somewhere to put there 'butts.'  smiley_girllaughing  

Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a spittoon in any of the episodes.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

There was a spittoon in a The Three Stooges short.  It was called Horse Collars and the bartender is keeping track of all the guys killed in his saloon he writes down the number on a blackboard then spits over at the spittoon. I know you were thinking of Rifleman.

I thought it was really funny when both Lucas and Grid shoot right into some place of business without thinking about the consequences. I'm surprised Micah lets them do all that shooting in town. In Conflict Micah will not allow any gun play in town, just like in Money Gun.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

... I noticed an ashtray on the table in Lariat.  I'm sure we could find more in the saloon scenes from other episodes.  They had to have somewhere to put there 'butts.'  smiley_girllaughing  

Hummm, I'll have to keep my eyes open for ashtrays now!

Since Lucas smoked cigars, in the evening, usually after supper, wouldn't there be an ashtray around somewhere in his house?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2017 6:45 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)

In 'The Sharpshooter' we see Lucas smoke a cigarette.....

I looked to see if there was an ashtray on the table when he sat down, but I didn't see any.....

It looks like Lucas might have put his cigarette out on a dish.   :dontknow:

We never see Vernon smoke, but yet he had matches to light Lucas' cigarette.  Is this something cowboys just carried with them?  😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2017 6:45 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: