Notifications
Clear all

Duchess' Dream  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

*If you wish to post comments to these stories, you can do so by clicking on Post Reply. Please be sure to list the episode you are commenting on.....

Duchess' Dream/Journal by Duchess

Chapter 1 & Chapter 2 — Sharper — a continuing saga
Lucas and Mark move to Buckville, AZ hoping for a new start. It's only been two years since Margret's death and Lucas is carrying a lot of anxiety. While searching for a job in the new town, Lucas discovers that it will take both him and Mark working together for things to get better.

Chapter 1 — The Lincoln County Story — a continuing saga
In a flashback story, Lucas begins to wonder if taking Mark on a cattle drive to Lincoln was really such a good idea. While there, they meet outlaws (Jesse Evans), wealthy ranchers (Chisum and Tunstall), and boy bent on revenge (William Bonney). Join them as they brave one of the most heated local conflicts in history: the Lincoln County War.

Chapter 2 — The Lincoln County Story — a continuing saga
Lucas and Mark move to Buckville AZ hoping for a new start. It's only been two years since Margret's death and Lucas is carrying a lot of anxiety. While searching for a job in the new town, Lucas discovers that it will take both him and Mark working together for things to get better.

Chapter 3 — The Lincoln County Story — a continuing saga Mark gets caught in between wanting to help his friend and what he knows Lucas would say.

Dust of the Earth (a mini story)
A short (I mean really short) story contrasting bitterness and love, hate and brotherly kindness.

1. Journal ― Beginning after Margaret's death, Journal takes a look into the thoughts of our favorite protagonist, Lucas.

2. Wave — WARNING: this one is a tear-jerker. It's still from Lucas' perspective, but it didn't fit with the journal entries so I'm posting it separately. This is my attempt at how everyday, little habits would be affected by loss.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Worship on Wagon Train (a mini story)
In the spring of 1950, John Ford released a western that would later be considered one of his greatest masterpieces (1). Instead of the iconic John Wayne leading this picture, Ward Bond starred as a likable but tough Mormon leader taking his people west. A member of the Ford Stock Company, Ward Bond had been in many Ford movies prior to Wagon Master, but always as a supporting character. Although Bond is not often remembered for his role as Elder Wiggs in Wagon Master, he is remembered for his role as Major Adams in the TV show Wagon Train. Inspired by John Ford’s movie, Wagon Train debuted in 1957 and quickly became a favorite, topping the Nielsen rating charts in 1961.

The Writer's Corner
Fan Fiction / Table of Contents

Posted : 16/07/2020 11:58 am
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

That is the most bittersweet thing I have ever read, and I can just see Mark doing that and Luke keeping it together to tell him Margaret sees her little boy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2020 11:58 am
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

Be. Still. My. Heart.
Duchess, you went and made me cry. This was so simple, and innocent, and sweet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2020 11:59 am
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

I'm glad you both liked it! I'm trying to write things that are authentic, true to how I feel about my little family.

I wrote Mark saying "Mama" because I'm not sure what the equivalent of Mommy was if the parent name was Ma. Any thoughts?

ReplyQuote
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

Well, Luke called his mother "Ma" in the episode Gun Shy. I think Mama is appropriate, especially since Mark called his father "Pa." Ma and Pa sound right. Mommy and Pa would sound weird.

ReplyQuote
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

Right. Mommy just sounded weird. And only using Ma seemed a bit grown up for a little boy. I know most kids flip flop between Mommy/Mom and Daddy/Dad at those ages, which is why I tried to think of a second name.

Do you think he ever called Lucas Papa, or just Pa?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2020 12:00 pm
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

I think Luke was probably always Pa. I work with small children, not toddlers but kindergarten age, and they tend to say "Mommy" and "Dad." Who can fathom the mind of a child? That's just my personal experience. Maybe it's like that old joke about the little kid crying and when his father came over to ask what was wrong, the kid wails "I need Mommy!" I often think of that with Mark and Luke, because a boy needs a mom and Luke had to be acutely aware of that. I think that's why he was always letting Mark run in to see Hattie. And remember in Vision, where Hattie said she wasn't a nurse, but she was a woman? There's just something about mom.

ReplyQuote
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

Duchess.....loving these stories. you have a knack for knowing our McCains in such detail!

Big galoot....ha....but such a handsome galoot!!

ReplyQuote
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

Great read! I’ve been dying for new fan fiction content! I enjoy writing the stories, but (most of the time) I know how a story is going to end when I start it, so there’s no anticipation or question of what will happen. Looking forward to more!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2020 12:01 pm
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

WOW is about all I can say. I LOVE your stories and you are introducing new characters. you have such a talent for inserting the smallest and finest details to draw the reader in. have you ever written professionally? does this just flow outta you? how long did it take you to create the above piece or does it just flow? you would be good at novels, screenplays, TV scripts.

I'm glad you are with us at the ranch so I can enjoy your stories about our favorite family. Keep 'em coming! Have a blessed day?

ReplyQuote
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

Good stuff Duchess! Right to the point. Your showing the struggles that Lucase had, that we didn't see. I like that.

ReplyQuote
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

I love this Duchess, It's right to the point and really how Mark and Lucas think of each other. I will add this to your section in the ranch/Weiter's Corner/website.

Happy Birthday to your Daughter, she is so lucky to have you for her mother. I'm sure she will grow into a wonderful person, just like her Mom.

I can't believe all these years have gone by and you were getting ready to go to college and some of the hardships you endured. You made it! God had something better for you! You are well blessed!

Thank you for sharing this with us!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2020 12:02 pm
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

Love love this. I love how you slang the language like Mark did a lot. and the new characters you add in. you are a talented writer and it flows out of you. Keep em coming, we appreciate your stories.

Blessings to your family and that special little one!! What is her name and can you sent a pic!

ReplyQuote
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

I love this! ❤️

ReplyQuote
Morgan
(@morgan)
Prominent Member

Do you have any prompts or types of entries you'd like to see? So far I've just been writing whatever comes up for me. (We struggled with our daughter having nightmares, so I wrote about that. She had her birthday, so I wrote on perspective.) What would you guys like to see more of?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2020 12:03 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: